The Australian Florin
The Australian Florin was minted from 1910 until 1963 prior to the changeover to decimal currency in 1966. For the first 7 years the 2s was minted in London. For the rest of the life of the coin was mostly minted in Australia at either Melbourne or Sydney. The only exceptions to this were during World War 2 when some of the 1942/43/44 coins were also minted in the USA.
The Australian Florin was minted with 7 obverses, the Edward VII Florin, the 1927 Parliament Florin, the 1934-35 Centenary Florin, the George V Florin, two different obverses on the George VI Florin, and two different observes on the Elizabeth II Florin. The reverse of the Australian 2s was the Australian Coat of Arms from 1910 through to 1963. W.H.J. Blakemore's design was used from 1910 to 1936 and George Kruger Gray's coat of arms design was used from 1938 to 1963.
Like all other pre-decimal Australian coinage the 2s was based on the silver standard. The 28.5mm, 11.31g coins were minted in sterling silver (92.5% silver, 7.5% copper) from 1910 till 1945. In 1946 the coins were debased to 50% silver, 40% copper, 5% nickel, and 5% zinc. The debasement resulted from Australia needing to pay off its' huge debts incurred during World War 2.
The Australian Florin is the most popular silver pre-decimal coin to collect bar none. It's large size and loads of detail make it collectable in almost all grades, and the different commemorative issues make for additional collecting interest.